Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Color Crush: RED

Have you ever been hung up on any particular color, finding yourself swatching almost the same exact shade every time you're within arms distance of some testers at the drugstore or at Sephora?  You're wondering, "what testers at the drugstore??"  I swear that I have never and will never open a sealed package or peel back a sticker to test anything because I hate it when I'm going to buy something and all of the same product and color have been opened and tested! But if someone else has already taken the liberty of opening a product to swatch it - by all means, I'll be testing it on the back of my hand too!  I don't know why they don't just put out testers at the drug store- grr!!

Anyway, you guessed it -- all four of my most recent drugstore lip purchases were RED!

A classic red lip with an otherwise bare face is just so chic and timeless.  And by bare face, I mean a glowy bare face with a hint of bronzer in the hollows - perfection!


Top: Revlon COLORBURST Matte Balm in 250 Stand Out
L-R: Revlon COLORSTAY Moisture Stain in 040 Shanghai Sizzle,
NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in SMLC 10 Monte Carlo,
Rimmel London SHOWOFF Lip Lacquer 501 Stellar

 Revlon always kills it when it comes to lip products!  The two Revlon lippies I picked up, swatched on the far left and far right below are two of my favorites. The Moisture Stain in Shanghai Sizzle (left) is beautiful and has amazing color pay off.  It is reminiscent of the infamous YSL Glossy Stains but at a fraction of the cost.  The moisturizing claim definitely holds true as this product has a very cushion-y feel on the lips and is not sticky at all.  The Color Burst matte balm, while it is matte, is NOT drying like many matte formulations out there.  The shade Stand Out is a fabulous brick red that would be perfect for the coming fall and winter months!  I would also say that these matte balms are a great dupe for the NARS matte velvet lip pencils but with a far more superior packaging with a twist up tube (NARS, please take note -- I am tired of sharpening my matte velvet pencils).

With Flash from left to right: Shanghai Sizzle, Monte Carlo, Stellar, Stand Out

NYX's Monte Carlo lip cream is a bright raspberry red color that comes off a bit more sheer than I thought it would from the tube.  I own a few other shades of the NYX soft matte lip creams in the colors Amsterdam, Milan, and Antwerp and these shades have a far more opaque finish.  This product was my least favorite of the bunch.

Last, but certainly not least, Rimmel London's Show Off lip lacquer in Stellar is a stunning shade of coral/hot pink (close enough to red, right?).  The scent of this product is a little off-putting as it smells like watermelon candy mixed with plastic.  The formulation is a hybrid between a gloss and a lipstick and also wears very well.  I really like dotting this very sparingly on my lips and blending out for a stained effect.

In Natural Light (same color order as above)

Loving these colors as we wrap up the summer but they will also transition beautifully into the fall and winter months! Yay for color all-year-round! 

No comments:

Post a Comment