Sunday, August 17, 2014

Foodie Files: Squash-getti Bolognese


I never thought I would be one of those people who would replace good ol' carby pasta for squash - but here I am and I totally love it.

After taking a striping peeler across the entire length of the squash (about two large squash) to create strands of spaghetti-like strips, I placed the mound of squash-getti into a microwave safe bowl and covered it with some wax paper.  After a few minutes in the microwave, I tossed it with tongs and put it in for another couple of minutes to let everything steam evenly-- and before long it was ready to be topped with sauce!

For this, I made a basic Bolognese sauce I found in an Italian recipe book (let me know if you'd like me to share the recipe, surprisingly easy and delish to boot) which I then stewed for hours on end until it reduced to a nice, meaty, and robust consistency that paired perfectly with the light squash. 

It's little life-hacks such as this pasta substitute, that can let you feel super naughty when you're really being nice!  Think of all the bowls of squash alfredo you can enjoy using this technique without feeling guilty since you're obliterating the calories you would've consumed from eating actual fettucine pasta!

Green and Yellow Summer Squash Bolognese a la AlphabetStew

It has also been immensely beneficial for us to use squash to replace pasta since we joined our local CSA farm share, which is a weekly delivery of locally grown organic produce.  While it's amazing to have such fresh veggies delivered on the weekly-- good lord we have been receiving a ton of squash and it's sometimes hard to use up all of the produce during the week in time for the next week's crop to be delivered!  Picture the I Love Lucy episode where Lucy and Ethel work at the chocolate factory packaging line; too many chocolates come out on the belt at a rate that's too fast for them to package so they end up losing some and stuffing some down their shirts and in their mouths!  That's basically how I've been feeling about our vegetable share of late!

At any rate, I am looking forward to trying more new veggie dishes!  If you have any you'd like to share, please do so :)

No comments:

Post a Comment