Saturday, September 28, 2013

I ❤ FOOD: Yuji Ramen - Bacon & Egg Mazemen

One of the best things I've eaten recently is Yuji Ramen's Bacon and Egg Mazemen.  It was absolutely, mind-blowingly delicious.  Unlike traditional ramen, mazemen is a brothless noodle dish served with sauce, oil, and various toppings. 


In a small brown paper bowl (a size bowl you would expect ice cream out of ), comes a delicately placed bunch of noodles, topped with an expertly poached egg, smokey bacon, kale, and bonito flakes (rice paper thin smoked fish goodness).  When I first received my order I thought the portion size was a little small.  But after enjoying it to the last drop (seriously, whatever is in this oil/sauce combo - it must be laced with crack), I realized that it really is just the right size to leave you satisfied and looking forward to your next run in with Yuji.  At $9 a pop, it's not the cheapest thing out there - but I think it's worth it.  The unexpected flavor combo (for ramen) really hits the spot (see proof below).

((Edited in black in white for dramatic effect.. lol))

I went to the one located on the 2nd floor of Whole Foods Market ~ Smorgasburg at Bowery.  We were introduced to this place by a friend - and thankfully so because I would never have guessed there would be a little food mecca inside this seemingly ordinary Whole Foods Market.  Of note, since my first introduction to Yuji a few weeks ago, I've been back another time and it was just as delicious (consistency is always a plus!)

If you're in the area, it's definitely worth a taste!

xo,
Alexa P.

No comments:

Post a Comment