Friday, September 27, 2013

LBD, I Covet Thee

You've heard everyone harp on and on about the little black dress (LBD) and how every woman needs to have one in their wardrobe... Well, I'm here to jump in on that bandwagon because it's a staple for many reasons!  Black is a fail safe color - you can wear it during any season and you will look put together and sleek.  Additionally, it makes for the perfect blank canvas for all your favorite accessories and suits every occasion be it casual or black tie (given the right accessories). 

Would you believe that I didn't own a "go to" LBD before I found this gorgeous Maje number (brand new with original tags) at Buffallo Exchange on 26th Street between 6th and 7th??  I went in there on a whim after trying on wedding dresses at David's Bridal a few streets over.  This dress called my name from all the way in the back dark corner of the dress rack.  

Here I am, having just tried on a ton of white wedding gowns and the one that really grabbed my attention is a black one with a daring chest cut-out. Tisk tisk..  I wish I had this feeling about a wedding dress!!  With the big day just 7 months away, I really need to get serious about finding THE one!


If you're looking for your own LBD for any upcoming holiday parties or events, I've hand picked a few below in a little segment I'm calling, Wardrobe Basics.  You can look forward to future Wardrobe Basics posts featuring pieces like thick knit sweaters, strappy sandals, statement necklaces, etc. etc. :)

LBD, a necessity



1) H&M // Flared Mini Dress ($24). - I love this little skater dress!  They re-released it from last year in blue and black.  I own the same one in a deep emerald green color (purchased last year) and I can't wait to wear it again.  The H&M website says that this dress is made of jersey material but the shiny quality reminds me more of neoprene (which has been quite popular this season).  Whatever the fabrication really is, it gives the dress some structure and it's super flattering on.

2) H&M // Chiffon Knee Length Dress ($56).  If you're going for a more sophisticated yet edgy look, this is the perfect LBD for you.  It looks like it's all business from the waist up, but the grommet detailing on the hem gives it a youthful almost punk vibe.  I'm picturing this with some killer ankle strap heels in a fun color....like cobalt blue!

3) Zara // Dress with Sheer Detail ($90).  I'm a sucker for anything with sheer details. Where a tube-dress might seem a little skank-a-licious and a long sleeve dress a little too covered up -- this dress let's you have a little of both with just the right amount of sexy, a classy sexy if you will.

4) New Look // Black Crochet Collar Sleeveless Skater Dress ($24).  The polar opposite of the previous dress - this one is demure and super cute with the crochet collar.  With the perfect heels and big round sunglasses you can take this dress from 2nd grade teacher to Audrey Hepburn.

xo,
Alexa P.

No comments:

Post a Comment